Skip to main content

A memorable day

By strive masiyiwa
__243 years ago, a seed was planted...

About two weeks ago, my wife and I traveled to Cambridge Massachusetts, the home of Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where I was inducted into the membership of one of the most revered institutions in the world: the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. 

Founded during the American Revolution in 1780 by John Adams just four years after American Independence, the Academy’s mission is: "To cultivate every art and science which may tend to advance the interest, honor, dignity, and happiness of a free, independent, and virtuous people.”

Members were at first generally confined only to a handful of Americans each year but over time other nationalities were also elected, in a category called Foreign Honorary Members, or now,  International Honorary Member (IHM).  The Academy's first international member was from France... back in 1781!

There have been several distinguished Africans elected to the Academy as IHMs over the years including Nelson Mandela, dearly missed Kofi Annan, Wole Soyinka, the Nobel Laureate writer from Nigeria, and my friend Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, now head of the World Trade Organisation... Another African inducted this year was Ghanaian writer and literary critic, Professor Ato Quayson.

Dr James Manyika, the Artificial Intelligence expert who heads Google’s research, was elected to join the Academy several years ago, but being an American citizen now, he's in the main Member category. This shows you just what this son of Africa has accomplished! If you've not yet seen my discussion with him on Artificial Intelligence a few months ago, you can find the link in my recent post.

You can find the list of all Academy members from 243 years ago to now {including those from Africa} by visiting their website: https://www.amacad.org/

Even though I did not speak at the induction ceremony, you know if I had, I would have first and foremost given glory to God, then thanked my family and all those who have supported me all my life, including friends and all the nearly 10,000 people who work for my organisation and philanthropies. And of course, friends and colleagues with whom I work, particularly on issues like pandemics and other African challenges.

__Finally, I would have dedicated the award to inspiring young #Entrepreneurs of Africa like so many of you, as well as those across the continent who seek after #Knowledge-based excellence in their fields of endeavour.

I do so now.

By the way, back in 2018 some of you know I was inducted an Honorary Fellow of the African Academy of Sciences, something I’m very proud of. The bedrock of my career has always been the love of science, which drew me to engineering. Before I was an entrepreneur, I was an engineer. My entrepreneurship opened the door for me to contribute in society as a philanthropist [someone who uses the resources they have to try and solve problems that affect the most vulnerable in society].

I know many of you are now philanthropists in your own communities [whether large or small] and I am so proud when I hear stories of your work. Africa is on the move. Not a moment to lose. God bless all of you.

Later next week I shall return to Massachusetts, this time to Harvard University, for something, really, really special as well. Don’t miss it!

Image credit and caption: American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Signing the historic "Book of Members", a tradition that dates back to 1781.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspirational Quotes to Motivate You for Work, Love, and Life

"Be there for others, but never leave yourself behind." — Dodinsky, In the Garden of Thoughts: Be Your Best Self “You are your best thing.” — Toni Morrison, Beloved "Be happy for this moment. This moment in your life." — Omar Khayyam "If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment." — Carlos Santana "If you can dream it, you can do it." — Walt Disney "Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." — Albert Schweitzer "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." — Maya Angelou “Give light, and people will find the way.” — Ella Baker “Keep your face to the sunshine, and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller “A person without regrets is a nincompoop.” — Mia Farrow “Life is short, and it is here to be lived.” — Kate Winslet “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” — Geena Davis “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” — Oprah Winfrey “Everything you can imagine is real.” — Pablo Picasso “Speak your mind...

HIV/AIDS herbal treatment takes root in Kenya

by NATASHA I was been suffering hard shiply from HIV / AIDS since 6 yrs now, and i happen to have 2 kids for my husband, and now we cannot proceed to have another kids all because of my disease and now i have to do all what a human like i and my husband can do just to get my disease healed, i have went to several places to seek for help not even one person could ever help, until i melt a comment on the daily news paper that was commented by Ms cludia about how this powerful traditional doctor help her get cured of the disease (HIV-AIDS) "my fellow beloved" i firstly taught having a help from a spiritual traditional healer was a wrong idea, but i think of these, will i continue to stress on these disease all day when i have someone to help me save my life? "so i gather all my faiths and put in all interest to contact him through his Email address drogboduherbalcurepalace@gmail.com , so after i have mailed him of helping me to cured my disease, he respond to me fast as pos...