Skip to main content

The day you plant the seed is not the day you eat the fruit

By strive masiyiwa
About 30 years ago I wrote a letter that changed my life as an entrepreneur. I've told some of you about this before.

I had come across a newspaper article announcing the private sector arm of the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation, was setting up a special fund to help what they called at the time “Small and Medium Size Businesses” - SMEs. [We don’t really use that term much anymore; today we say “Entrepreneurs].

The article was right there in the local newspaper that we all #Read. But I read to DO, so I always have a pen and paper... READY to FOLLOW UP!

Back then there was no email, no Internet. I decided to write a letter and then had to wait months and months for the reply. A black guy from Guyana eventually wrote back, and said he was one of the people working on it.

To cut a long story short: he traveled to Harare to undertake a Due Diligence of my first little business. Together we worked on my Business Plan. He actually had the first laptop that I had ever seen! I had only a desktop.

It must have taken six months, and at least five visits by Dr Lawrence Clarke, to help me develop an investable Business Plan.

During those six months, I learnt more about financing structures, and debt and equity in a business, than I had known in five years.

At the time, it was only $250,000. But the #Principles including the 3Ps that I learnt would apply to any amount you need. 

In addition to #People, #Product and #Process that I've talk to you about for years, let me leave you with a few more P's...

1. #Persistence!

One of the hallmarks of a good entrepreneur is #Persistence. However, a note of caution: “Persistence without insight will usually lead to the same result—failure!” [anon]

You must be persistent, yes, but you must first seek clarity and INSIGHT before trying again! Never allow your emotions, or sense of injustice [perceived or real] to cloud how you go back in, to try again.

I’m the most #Persistent person you will ever meet, but I do so through the constant pursuit of #Insight. How else can I approach this?

What mistakes did I make last time? I go over the minutest of detail. I consult people who are not emotionally invested, yet knowledgeable [on the matter at hand].

2. #Patience!

If you are going to succeed at anything as an entrepreneur, you will need #Patience. Lots and lots of it! I cannot stress enough: Everything I have tried to show you, there is also an implicit message about the importance of Patience.

Yes, I know that in America, some young entrepreneurs can create multi-billionaire businesses almost overnight. That is good, and I hope it happens to some of you, but that's not going to be the case for 99% of you, and you should have the humility to accept that.

Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson are #MasterClass entrepreneurs, but their ventures 20+ years in the making!

I first started thinking about the business that's now Liquid Intelligent Technologies in 1997. It would be more than 15 years before the first investor believed in what I was trying to do with it. And now global investors have turned it into the largest business in my group.

Patience, patience, patience!

3. #Plan to #PLANT

Learn this from the farmer:

__If you don’t actually #Plant something, you have nothing!

A farmer knows that it is important to plan properly for the next season, but you cannot continue to #Plan forever without doing anything.

You don’t wait for the perfect conditions to get started.  Everything is a risk; you don’t know whether the crop will not fail before harvest; you don’t know if there will be a change in the market. If problems come, you cannot pack your crop and run. 

You must work in the conditions, because you don’t control at least 80% of the conditions you will face, and yet for that 20% or less, you take the risk. 

# Are you asking yourself the right questions?

# Are you making observations that really matter? [For so many of you now on this platform, the answer is increasingly YES!]

# ARE YOU ACTING ON WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNT?

There will be many opportunities for you, even today, such as the one I had the day when I saw that article.

Almost every day I write stuff for you that is just as important as that newspaper article, but you and you alone, are the one to ACT.

If I get you to accept this, there is nothing you cannot do!

"Keep your eyes on the stars but your hands at the task" [adapted from Theodore Roosevelt]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspirational Quotes to Motivate You for Work, Love, and Life

"Be there for others, but never leave yourself behind." — Dodinsky, In the Garden of Thoughts: Be Your Best Self “You are your best thing.” — Toni Morrison, Beloved "Be happy for this moment. This moment in your life." — Omar Khayyam "If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment." — Carlos Santana "If you can dream it, you can do it." — Walt Disney "Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." — Albert Schweitzer "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." — Maya Angelou “Give light, and people will find the way.” — Ella Baker “Keep your face to the sunshine, and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller “A person without regrets is a nincompoop.” — Mia Farrow “Life is short, and it is here to be lived.” — Kate Winslet “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” — Geena Davis “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” — Oprah Winfrey “Everything you can imagine is real.” — Pablo Picasso “Speak your mind...

HIV/AIDS herbal treatment takes root in Kenya

by NATASHA I was been suffering hard shiply from HIV / AIDS since 6 yrs now, and i happen to have 2 kids for my husband, and now we cannot proceed to have another kids all because of my disease and now i have to do all what a human like i and my husband can do just to get my disease healed, i have went to several places to seek for help not even one person could ever help, until i melt a comment on the daily news paper that was commented by Ms cludia about how this powerful traditional doctor help her get cured of the disease (HIV-AIDS) "my fellow beloved" i firstly taught having a help from a spiritual traditional healer was a wrong idea, but i think of these, will i continue to stress on these disease all day when i have someone to help me save my life? "so i gather all my faiths and put in all interest to contact him through his Email address drogboduherbalcurepalace@gmail.com , so after i have mailed him of helping me to cured my disease, he respond to me fast as pos...