Skip to main content

What is your mindset when you see a challenge?

By Strive Masiyiwa

Remember what I've written before about the importance of having the right mindset? Always looking for the game changer... that's a mindset, too!
When we were planning to set up Kwesé TV, I asked an expert what he thought would be one of our biggest challenges.
"Getting licenses to operate in all these countries," he said. "Maybe we have to go to court again?"
"No, we're not going to court on this one. No need," I said emphatically. "We will operate where we have licenses and use the YouTube solution elsewhere."
"YouTube solution?" he asked.
"Does YouTube need a license for their TV services on the Internet?"
"No."
"So you mean if we offered the service, through an App, we won't need a license?" This sounded interesting.
"Well, if it's like YouTube, the only way they can stop us is to shut down the whole Internet."
"I see. Can we develop an App like WhatsApp?"
"How many people in Africa watch YouTube?" I asked my team.
"Almost 20m."
"I wouldn't mind a TV service across Africa, with 20m customers," I retorted. "This might be the game changer we need. Let's offer our service using an App, and let people download like YouTube."
# What is your mindset when you see a challenge?
Immediately, I got a team to start developing the Kwesé App. You download it just like WhatsApp, and you can watch anything, just like on YouTube! The Kwesé App has been downloaded in almost every African country. Every day, thousands are downloading this App.
Now I know some of you will say to me, "But data is so expensive!"
"Don't worry, when we started cell phones it used to be $3/minute. It will always come down."
But if I were to answer you as an entrepreneur, rather than as a customer, I would say: "What an opportunity for you!"
# What is your mindset when you see a challenge?
Some young guys came to see me from a West African country, and told me they want to build WIFI hotspots to enable people to watch Kwesé TV, using the Kwesé App!
"Do you have a business model for it?" I asked.
"Yes, sir!"
"Wow!"
"Can I invest?!"
Mobile operators are now lowering their data tariffs so they can cash in on the Kwesé App. It has happened in Rwanda after just one month. Watch what will happen over the next two years across Africa! People will forget that they ever watched TV on a big screen.
# What is your mindset when you see a challenge?
A friend of mine called me to say he was watching Kwesé TV in Nigeria, on a big screen in his house!
"How?!" I asked surprised. We are not yet in Nigeria.
"Some guy bought decoders in Ghana and sold me one," he laughed. "This is Nigeria, my friend. People are already making money on this Kwesé of yours!"
I laughed, too. Our decoders are probably selling at Ikeja Market, and many other markets across this beautiful continent of ours. Be smart but don't break the law!
# We are a continent of entrepreneurs!
About my $10,000 competition a few weeks ago, you will find the winner in the Kwese.Com website. (Shhh, let everyone discover for themselves!) And if you didn't win, study what I said and wait for the next competition. Thanks for participating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspirational Quotes to Motivate You for Work, Love, and Life

"Be there for others, but never leave yourself behind." — Dodinsky, In the Garden of Thoughts: Be Your Best Self “You are your best thing.” — Toni Morrison, Beloved "Be happy for this moment. This moment in your life." — Omar Khayyam "If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment." — Carlos Santana "If you can dream it, you can do it." — Walt Disney "Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." — Albert Schweitzer "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." — Maya Angelou “Give light, and people will find the way.” — Ella Baker “Keep your face to the sunshine, and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller “A person without regrets is a nincompoop.” — Mia Farrow “Life is short, and it is here to be lived.” — Kate Winslet “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” — Geena Davis “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” — Oprah Winfrey “Everything you can imagine is real.” — Pablo Picasso “Speak your mind...

HIV/AIDS herbal treatment takes root in Kenya

by NATASHA I was been suffering hard shiply from HIV / AIDS since 6 yrs now, and i happen to have 2 kids for my husband, and now we cannot proceed to have another kids all because of my disease and now i have to do all what a human like i and my husband can do just to get my disease healed, i have went to several places to seek for help not even one person could ever help, until i melt a comment on the daily news paper that was commented by Ms cludia about how this powerful traditional doctor help her get cured of the disease (HIV-AIDS) "my fellow beloved" i firstly taught having a help from a spiritual traditional healer was a wrong idea, but i think of these, will i continue to stress on these disease all day when i have someone to help me save my life? "so i gather all my faiths and put in all interest to contact him through his Email address drogboduherbalcurepalace@gmail.com , so after i have mailed him of helping me to cured my disease, he respond to me fast as pos...