Skip to main content

How to avoid burnout by minding your energy levels

By Dr.Paul Bundi Karau

I promised, as a continuation to the Pomodoro Technique, to address the issue of burnout.
Today’s student and professional is constantly exhausted and dazed by hours of work, buzzing phones, social media and ever-increasing demands. There’s less and less time to reflect, take a deep breath and prioritize. Life moves at a frenetic pace, and we feel the nagging to move with it.
Energy and time are not limitless. They need to be maximized. We must be careful how we handle our bodies. They need rest to replenish lost stores, remove toxins and establish new neuronal connections. Says Chris Winfield, a renowned blogger: To sustain your work for long, it’s important to understand how things like energy level and attitude affect your work output. Having a positive outlook will boost your motivation.
Any student or working class individual hoping to make maximum use of available time, with proper motivation and positive attitude ought to take a daily energy inventory. This entails asking the following questions
Physical energy:         How healthy am I?
Emotional energy:     How happy am I?
Mental energy:           How well can I focus on something?
Spiritual energy:        Why am I doing this?
                             What us my purpose
You then need to address any area where you feel your energy is low. Even if you are in excellent health, but are bored or sad, distracted and have no purpose, applying the Pomodoro technique is of little value. It is all about quality of your work, not the quantity.
You can work smarter without having to work harder. Take your energy inventory today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspirational Quotes to Motivate You for Work, Love, and Life

"Be there for others, but never leave yourself behind." — Dodinsky, In the Garden of Thoughts: Be Your Best Self “You are your best thing.” — Toni Morrison, Beloved "Be happy for this moment. This moment in your life." — Omar Khayyam "If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment." — Carlos Santana "If you can dream it, you can do it." — Walt Disney "Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." — Albert Schweitzer "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." — Maya Angelou “Give light, and people will find the way.” — Ella Baker “Keep your face to the sunshine, and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller “A person without regrets is a nincompoop.” — Mia Farrow “Life is short, and it is here to be lived.” — Kate Winslet “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” — Geena Davis “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” — Oprah Winfrey “Everything you can imagine is real.” — Pablo Picasso “Speak your mind...

Take care of yourself__"The first wealth is health".

By Strive Masiyiwa  A few weeks ago I went to the doctor. I will tell you what he said about my health at the end, but first read this: Twenty years ago, I arranged to meet a well-known British international businessman who invested a lot in Africa at the time. We agreed to meet for dinner at a leading hotel in London.  After a good meeting, we started to walk out of the restaurant when he suddenly collapsed in the lobby. There was total pandemonium as they rushed to get medical assistance. Being London, an ambulance arrived in minutes. I jumped in the back with him as paramedics wrestled to keep him alive. He had had a heart attack and had to have triple bypass heart surgery. Sadly he died a few weeks later. He hadn't been sick and his sudden death surprised everyone. And yet as I reflected on it, and later discussed it with a doctor friend who knew him, I realized he was very laid back about his health despite having a hectic business life. Even during our dinner...