Skip to main content

Want to Work with NGO's.Check these sites for FREE short courses that are recognised by NGOs.

1. UNICEF Free Online Courses  UNICEF Free online courses 2. World Health Organization Free Online courses  WHO free online courses 3. USAID Free Online Courses USAID free online courses 4. Project management certificates  project management free online y

Kenya IEBC Chair Defends Himself Against Corruption allegations in connection with UK printing firm.

picture-70312.jpg

PRESS RELEASE FOR: IMMEDIATE RELEASE SUBJECT: ‘CORRUPTION ALLEGATIONS’ NAIROBI, KENYA: February 14th, 2015. Serious integrity concerns have been raised against some commissioners, staff and I during the tenure of the Interim Independent Electoral Commission, IIEC. It has been alleged that a UK printing firm gave bribes in order to secure business contracts. I want to state categorically that these allegations against me are untrue and will remain so regardless of how much it is repeated, sensationalized or exploited. I have said it before and will say it again that I have never involved myself in any corrupt practices during my tenure at IIEC or now in IEBC. In sentencing the officials of Smith and Ouzman printing firm, the courts in UK said that the period during which the offences occurred was between 1 November 2006 and 31 December 2010. IEBC came into office in November 2011. I was not and I am not on trial in the UK Courts. Like any other citizen of this country, I am entitled to the presumption of innocence guaranteed by the constitution until proved otherwise. I will be accorded the opportunity to face any accusers and defend myself in accordance with the laws of Kenya. Just because I hold the position of chairman does not mean I am not entitled to fair and accurate comment. It has even been suggested that since the officials of Smith and Ouzman have been sentenced by the UK courts for corruption, we should also be guilty without trial. There is no law that works on such a cut and paste presumptions. I EBC is helping the anti-corruption authorities with the investigations on these allegations. It is our hope that outcome will clear the air on the matter once for all. Ahmed Issack Hassan Chairperson-IEBC

Comments