Skip to main content

A Date with Another Woman

After 21 years of marriage, my wife wanted me to take another woman out to dinner and a movie. She said, “I love you, but I know this other woman loves you and would love to spend some time with you.” The other woman that my wife wanted me to visit was my MOTHER, who has been a widow for 19 years, but the demands of my work and my three children had made it possible to visit her only occasionally. That night I called to invite her to go out for dinner and a movie. “What’s wrong, are you well ?” she asked. She was suspicious of something. “I thought that it would be pleasant to spend some time with you,” I responded. “Just the two of us.” She thought about it for a moment, and then said, “I would like that very much.”That Friday after work, as I drove over to pick her up , She was waiting at the door with her coat on. She had curled her hair and was wearing the dress that she had worn to celebrate her last wedding anniversary. She smiled from a face that was as radiant as an angel’s. “I told my friends that I was going to go out with my son, and they were impressed, “she said, as she got into the car. We went to a restaurant that was very nice and cozy. My mother took my arm as if she were the First Lady. After we sat down, I had to read the menu. Her eyes could only read large print. Half way through the entries, I lifted my eyes and saw Mom sitting there staring at me. A nostalgic smile was on her lips. “It was I who used to have to read the menu when you were small,” she said. “Then it’s time that you relax and let me return the favor,” I responded. During the dinner, we had an agreeable conversation – nothing extraordinary but catching up on recent events of each other’s life. We talked so much that we missed the movie. As we arrived at her house later, she said, “I’ll go out with you again, but only if you let me invite you.” I agreed. “How was your dinner date?” asked my wife when I got home. “Very nice. Much more so than I could have imagined,” I answered. A few days later, my mother died of a massive heart attack. It happened so suddenly that I didn’t have a chance to do anything for her. Some time later, I received an envelope with a copy of a restaurant receipt from the same place mother and I had dined. An attached note said: “I paid this bill in advance. I wasn’t sure that I could be there; but nevertheless, I paid for two plates – one for you and the other for your wife. You will never know what that night meant for me. I love you, son.” At that moment, I understood the importance of saying in time: “I LOVE YOU” and to give our loved ones the time that they deserve. Nothing in life is more important than your family. Give them the time they deserve, because these things cannot be put off till “some other time.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspirational Quotes to Motivate You for Work, Love, and Life

"Be there for others, but never leave yourself behind." — Dodinsky, In the Garden of Thoughts: Be Your Best Self “You are your best thing.” — Toni Morrison, Beloved "Be happy for this moment. This moment in your life." — Omar Khayyam "If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment." — Carlos Santana "If you can dream it, you can do it." — Walt Disney "Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." — Albert Schweitzer "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." — Maya Angelou “Give light, and people will find the way.” — Ella Baker “Keep your face to the sunshine, and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller “A person without regrets is a nincompoop.” — Mia Farrow “Life is short, and it is here to be lived.” — Kate Winslet “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” — Geena Davis “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” — Oprah Winfrey “Everything you can imagine is real.” — Pablo Picasso “Speak your mind...

HIV/AIDS herbal treatment takes root in Kenya

by NATASHA I was been suffering hard shiply from HIV / AIDS since 6 yrs now, and i happen to have 2 kids for my husband, and now we cannot proceed to have another kids all because of my disease and now i have to do all what a human like i and my husband can do just to get my disease healed, i have went to several places to seek for help not even one person could ever help, until i melt a comment on the daily news paper that was commented by Ms cludia about how this powerful traditional doctor help her get cured of the disease (HIV-AIDS) "my fellow beloved" i firstly taught having a help from a spiritual traditional healer was a wrong idea, but i think of these, will i continue to stress on these disease all day when i have someone to help me save my life? "so i gather all my faiths and put in all interest to contact him through his Email address drogboduherbalcurepalace@gmail.com , so after i have mailed him of helping me to cured my disease, he respond to me fast as pos...